Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Q

I joined the crowd at 7:30 pm. The queue was about half a kilometer long, stretching well into the main road. In front of me were a man-wife pair. Holding/wriggling hands, whispering into ears...and all the rest of the things one can/cannot expect. Behind me too were a man-wife pair, discussing the intricate details of their professional life...project release next week, bitchy boss on leave, finance demading IT proofs of investment, what address to put down for HRA etc.

As the queue moved on at snails pace, the wife in front spotted the Schwarzkopf beauty parlour. She quickly peeped in, came back to husband, took some money and disappeared inside. The husband behind me was getting too restless. He went to the Q's beginning to see if there was any other way of getting in...disappointed that there wasnt, he bought a bagful of popcorn for himself and a small cone of peanuts for his wife. Meanwhile, the other wife in front returned after doing her eyebrows and trimmig her hair.

And this Q was for darshan on Vaikunta Ekadasi (last Thursday), at a temple nearby! When I finally got out of the temple it was 10:00pm. I had no clue what made me undertake this ....on a chilly, rainy night...and I am sure at least half the other were equally clueless. I even saw a lady from north-east, clad in a business suit, along with a long-haired boyfriend braving all this!

I always though such 'bhakti' came to folks living near Srirangam and brought up on the lore of Vishnu.

4 comments:

Choxbox said...

were you alone? or were V and S with you? pls to touch your feet for me, for so much enthu. pls to transfer some to me too.

Airspy said...

oh ofcourse I couldnt have done it with them. They had been fed, and hubby was back at home to take care of them...thats why this spirit of misadventure. But actually there were scores of kids around...pampered with all the glorious things at the stalls..balloons, wind wanes, high decibel plastic trumpets, spiderman watches to name a few......I would have gone crazy managing my monsters in the midst of these distractions. Though I enjoyed watching the other parents, with a sense of detachment!

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

hey airspy i have tagged you in my post called Famous Five....

madraskaari said...

really, whatever made you do this. I have to tell my mother..