Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dilpasand..

Dilpasand...its one of those words which makes me instantly drool, irrespective of what my gastric state is.

I got introduced to it in my teens, thanks to the 4 'o' clock tea time at the hostel mess. I think it was thursday's fare. A lot of people didnt like it, so they offloaded their share on me. What fun for me. I would have one tall lotta of tea - with a lavish spread of three dilpasands on my plate and a rather empty mess hall. Looking out into the nice scenery outside - of beautiful trees, randomly parked cycles and a few hangers on populating the culverts by our road... and in the background listen to '...dadaaaall dadaaaaaall...' sounds of the vessels being washed in the kithcen, loads of '...yakayaka yakayaka.....' conversations in telugu and tamil of the vegetable cutters and the cooks as they planned the dinner banquet...! Ah! I digress from the subject on hand...this thing used to be a treat for me, especially after we came back from a grimy workshop/lab or some such long slot.

Even after decades I am yet to find someone who shares the same delight in eating Dilpasand. I could have initiated my monsters into this, but I did not, because I wince at the thought of having to share my dilpasand. Even when they say that its looking nice with all its tutti futtis, I assure them that its 'kaaram' and that they wouldnt like it. They dont persist too much... i guess the dry look of the thing is not too appetisising.

Of late, I found the best Iyengar bakery in town near my office, and treat myself to this delicacy every Friday as I drive home. Its the most pleasurable indulgence.....

5 comments:

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

Dilpasand? Oh god, it also had pieces of coconut inside it did it not? You are welcome to have mine.
Good one telling monsters its kaaram. I have told mine that the following things, which, incidentally have it in common that the are my indulgences, are kaaram: Coffee, Tea, Beer, Murukku.

Airspy said...

Yes thats the thingy - dry flaky bread stuffed with tutti fruttis, cocunut and secret ingredients - the original recipe is still privy only to members of your extended faimily tree :-(.

How about Kodubele? Too sweet for your tastes?

Choxbox said...

i think i remember this thing. didnt like it much. like the 'kaaram' idea though - will steal it.

madraskaari said...

I don't think I have ever eaten this thing.

Dilpasand -- hmmm....

Airspy said...

I will send you a picute. you couldnt have not eaten it.