Friday, November 2, 2007

Fancying a dress

November is here......so is Children’s day....and today I was supposed to fill out and submit a form to the school wherein I am to solemnly swear to dress my child V as _________ on November 14th and not to change my mind about it.

I don’t like that last clause.

Last night, at 12:15 am, as the train was just pulling out of Central and inching towards B.Bridge, I was cleaning my handbag (undoubtedly a Sisyphean task). That’s when I noticed this cyclostyled note from school. That’s when a friendly roach peeped from a crevice to say hello to the butterfly embroidered on the V's pink blanket. Suppressing all human emotions such as fear, I decided to see poetry in the scenery. And my mind dilly-dallied between the two winged creatures and chose the more pleasing one. BUTTERFLY, I scrawled on the note and tucked it deep into the handbag and went about looking for ways to shoo away the roach.

This morning when the principal sternly reminded me about the form, I gave it to her ...and now I realize the last clause. What if the nylon wings scratch her? What if the butterfly bites her? Won’t Rahul who is going to dress up as a Dinosaur eat her up? What if she wants to be Cinderella because she can get to wear pink? What if she wants to wear flowers on her hair like Radha?

Aha! Now I get it....she will be a pink butterfly with flowers wound to the antennae, a halo around her head, a wand in her hand, and with a detachable set of fangs, to out compete the rest.

6 comments:

Choxbox said...

kindly post a pic.

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

butterflies should be green. i might still have that dress. :)

Airspy said...

Choxbox: i surely will post one on the 15th!

kbpm: I still remember the green Gubachhi! I will use it when she goes to college. Send me the lyrics (i prefer a recorded version) of the Naenu Gubachi song,I will make her say it!

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

college? are you kidding me? i think, extrapolating from May (i think i met you in May right?), i would expect she will fit into it right about now. of course it is also appropriate that my V has grown out of it.

Navella Hakkigalu Rekke Inda Haaruvevu (2)

Naanu Gubacchi Bahala Puttadu
Nanagintha Puttadu Bere Yellu Sikkadu

Chorus

I have an hindi version

Titli Raani Bolo Bolo
Kaun Desh Se Aathi Ho
Ithna Sundar Roop Tumhara
Sab Ka Hruday Lubhathi Ho.

Do it, go for it. Of course you could have her say,

"People say I am a butterfly. I flit from person to person. In short, I am a flibbertygibbet."

You Choose.

Airspy said...

Thanks a ton kbpm; I have printed out the lyrics. I'll set it to appropriate tunes

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

i forgot a line -

Navella Hakkigalu Rekke Inda Haaruvevu
Santhasava Beeruvevu Indinaa dinaa
(2)

Please get S to correct your pronunciation, tams may be depended upon to gloss over the various sounds and say Ba for Pa and Ga for Ka. :)